Many come to yoga in search of relaxation or peace of mind. Indeed, in one of the most important texts on yoga, Patañjali’s Yoga Sutra, yoga is defined as the ‘stilling of the movement of the mind’.
In our tradition, inspired by the teachings of TKV Desikachar, we design individual practices and classes for a purpose, to achieve an effect, whatever it might be.
Yoga offers us a wide range of tools to help us. These include āsana (postures), prāṇāyāma (regulation of the breath), bhāvana (visualisation), dhyānam (meditation) and adhyayanam (chanting).
Individual sessions with a TSYP teacher are a great way to develop your personal practice. Our tradition is unique in its focus on individual and personalised study. Our teachers offer 1-to-1 teaching which takes into account the circumstances of your life, your own health and your personal goals. We will support you to develop a regular practice to help maintain the benefits of yoga. We will also adapt your practice to your changing circumstances and personal goals and help you to go deeper as and when you may wish to do so.
TSYP teachers also offer group classes bringing breath, body and mind together to create a feeling of well-being and peace. Classes are designed around the principles taught to us by TKV Desikachar and teachers trained by him. Great care is taken to ensure you are adequately prepared for all that is taught, and classes are tailored to be appropriate for all group members. Group sizes tend to be small, so that the teacher can give you personal guidance.
Seminars and workshops
Our teacher-trainers and experienced local teachers regularly offer masterclasses and workshops on various topics. These occasions offer a chance to explore the principles that lie behind our yoga practice, time to look at them in more detail, and space to experience yoga more deeply. Please ask your teacher or join an event.
We in TSYP offer high quality tuition to experienced practitioners and qualified teachers so that you can:
- Deepen your personal practice
- Use other tools of yoga, such as the breath, nyāsa and bhāvana, to deepen your experience of āsana and take it in a more meditative direction
- Study and chant yoga texts, such as the Yoga Sūtra-s of Patañjali and the Bhagavad Gītā
- Offer you foundation courses and teacher training courses
We can also:
- Work personally with you, using yoga as a therapy
- Mentor you as a teacher
- Provide your annual CPD, as required to maintain your teaching qualification
- Provide you and your students with seminars and study groups