TSYP Yoga Teacher & Yoga Therapist Training Course
This three-year Diploma Course is intended as a qualification for yoga teachers who wish to study, practise and teach in the tradition of Professor T Krishnamacharya and his son TKV Desikachar, one of the most respected authentic yoga traditions. Exceptionally in the UK, this course also fulfils the British Council for Yoga Therapy (BCYT) standards and qualifies you to work as a yoga therapist. It is one of the most thorough and comprehensive yoga trainings in the UK.
This course, which takes a blended learning approach, combining face-to-face and online delivery, will root you in a yoga tradition that is one of the most respected in the world. It will give you the tools to teach yoga to students both in classes and on a one-to-one basis, whether their needs are for health, personal development or spiritual wellbeing.
The teachings emphasise the importance of adapting Yoga to the individual. Therefore, a proportion of the course will be about the art of working therapeutically with individuals and the foundations of the yoga of healing. Ongoing mentoring is a key aspect of working in this tradition and as a TSYP student you too will have regular individual lessons with a TSYP mentor.
The course integrates practical teachings about āsana, prānāyāma, sound and meditative techniques with the teachings of Patañjali’s Yoga Sūtra and other key yoga texts. Yoga is looked at as a tool for helping us in our life; for health, healing, self-discovery, growth in wisdom and ultimately spiritual transformation.
On completion of the Course students can join TSYP as Teacher Members and have access to ongoing support and resources. They will also be able to register with the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) as a Yoga Therapist.
- Yoga Practice
- Āsana, Mudrā and Bandha
- Sound and Mantra
- Yoga History, Philosophy and Tradition
- Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology
- Teaching and Learning
- Working with Individuals
- Professional Practice
- Reflective Handbook – in the spirit of svādhyāya, whereby we aim to develop reflective, self-aware practitioners, the student will be expected to reflect and self-evaluate against a series of competences.
- Mentor/Tutor Discussions – students will meet regularly with their mentors and tutors to discuss their progress in evidencing the competencies in the Reflective Handbook.
- Observed Practice – students will be observed in range of contexts, such as teaching (both groups and individuals), role play and discussion.
- Recorded Tasks – a number of shorter recorded tasks will be given through the course on a range of topics and can generally be presented in written, audio or video formats as preferred.
- Dissertation – presenting six case studies of one-to-one work undertaken over a period of time of at least six months.
- Learning Checks – brief learning checks will be undertaken regularly throughout the Course to assess retention and understanding of material learnt.
Graduates of the Course will receive a 500-hour BWY Teacher Certificate and a TSYP Yoga Teacher certificate accredited by the British Council for Yoga Therapy.
Our next Teacher Training & Yoga Therapist Training Course starts November 2020. Click for more information.