Foundation Course I
This course is designed for those students wishing to explore Yoga in more depth than a weekly class may typically allow. It can be undertaken purely for personal development and interest or as a ﬁrst step towards yoga teacher training.
The course gives an introduction to the authentic yoga tradition of Sri Krishnamacharya and his son TKV Desikachar. It will cover āsana, prāṇāyāma, meditation, sound and chanting and basic yoga philosophy.
By the end of the course you will:
- have an awareness and appreciation of the teachings of T Krishnamacharya and TKV Desikachar
- have a basic knowledge and understanding of the history of yoga
- have an overview of Patañjali’s Yoga Sūtra and its importance as the key yoga text
- be aware of a range of āsana and be able to practise them appropriately
- have knowledge and understanding of some prāṇāyāma techniques and be able to practise them appropriately
- know the definition of meditation (YS III, 2) and have explored meditative practices
- be able to plan a simple personal practice
- have explored and experienced the role of sound in yoga
- know the definition of mantra and have practised some mantra
- be aware of some basic principles of āyurveda
- be aware of the basic rules of Sanskrit pronunciation and be able to pronounce key Sanskrit terms from the course
Foundation Course II
This course is designed for students who have completed Foundation Course I and would like to continue to broaden their depth of yoga knowledge, without training to be a yoga teacher, or whilst deciding whether to train as a yoga teacher. It provides students with an opportunity to further deepen their understanding of and relationship with yoga.